Who we are
Welcome to the UCSB Four Eyes Lab, in the Department of Computer Science and the Media Arts and Technology Program at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Our research focus is on the "four I's" of Imaging , Interaction, and Innovative Interfaces. The lab is directed by Professors Matthew Turk and Tobias Höllerer, and Dr. John O'Donovan. It includes several graduate and undergraduate students, postdocs and visitors.
- [April 2019] Spring quarter starts.: Our lab meetings would be on Tuesdays 11 am to 1 pm at Harold Frank Hall 1132. You are welcome to join if you are interested in finding out more about various research projects in our lab.
- [Dec 2017] IEEE CG'17 Best Paper: John O’Donovan and collaborators at ARL and RPI receieved best paper award for their work on misinformation propogation with uncertainty in social media. Announcement available here).
- [Feb 2017] CHI17: Research by former lab member Saiph Savage (& team at WVU), in collaboration with Tobias Hollerer, John O’Donovan and Angel Ortega (undergraduate researcher) on combatting bias in news media was accepted to ACM CHI’17 (late breaking track).
- [Feb 2017] Keynote talk: John O’Donovan will give a keynote talk at the “AWARE” workshop on awareness interfaces and interactions, to be held at IUI 2017 in March.
- [Jan 2017] ACM IUI Award: John O’Donovan to receive inaugural award for most-influential-paper of ACM IUI conference series, for his 2005 paper on “Trust in Recommender Systems” (link to article) (link to ACM award notice). John will present an invited talk about the work at IUI’17 in Cyprus.
- [Dec 2016] Ph.D. Defense: James Schaffer successfully defended his Ph.D. dissertation entitled “A Quantitative Investigation into the Design Tradeoffs in Decision Support Systems”. Congratulations, James!
- [Dec 2016] 3DV 2016: Our paper, “Large Scale SfM with the Distributed Camera Model” by Chris Sweeney, Victor Fragoso, Tobias Höllerer, and Matthew Turk was presented at the 3D Vision Conference at Stanford University.
- [Nov 2016] Ph.D. Defense: Domagoj Baričević successfully defended his Ph.D. dissertation entitled “User-Perspective Augmented Reality Magic Lenses”. Congratulations, Domagoj!
- [May 2016] Lab Open House 2016: The Four Eyes Lab will host an Open House, including demonstrations of the lab’s current and recent research projects on Friday, May 27, 2016, 5-9pm. This event takes place along with the Media Arts and Technology End of Year Show in Elings Hall. The lab’s work will be primarily on the third floor, so come on up!
- [Mar 2016] IEEE VR 2016: Our paper “Evaluating Wide-Field-of-View Augmented Reality with Mixed Reality Simulation” by Donghao Ren, Tibor Goldschwendt, YunSuk Chang, and Tobias Hollerer was presented at IEEE VR 2016.
- Illumination for 360 Degree Cameras Proceedings of the 23rd ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST 2018)
- Hybrid orbiting-to-photos in 3D reconstructed visual reality Proceedings of the 24th ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology
- Automatic Cricket highlight generation using event-driven and excitement based features Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops
- A Study of Situated Product Recommendations in Augmented Reality IEEE International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Virtual Reality, AIVR 2018, Taichung, Taiwan, December 10-12, 2018